30 December 2008

2008 Pop Music Redux

I'd probably find it difficult even naming 25 songs that were in the top 40 this year, let alone finding 25 that I liked. However, I rather like DJ Earworm's mashup of the top 25 hits of 2008, even though I don't really like any of the individual songs sampled therein (well, Apologize by Timbaland and OneRepublic (a Gossip Girl acquisition) and that ubiquitous Coldplay song (which serves as the background for the whole mashup) are both OK). Maybe I just like the cleverness of blending all the songs together so seamlessly or that this pop music digest is a far more palatable way of sampling the biggest hits of 2008 than, say, listening to the radio on a regular basis. Or something.

As I said, I can't list five songs I like that were released this year but I did add 210 new songs to my iTunes library this year so in the interests of finis anni list-making, these are the top five songs I discovered in 2008 (of which only the first was originally released this year):

1. Wishful Thinking -- Rupa and the April Fishes
2. Tip of the Tongue -- The Donnis Trio
3. Fake Empire -- The National
4. When I'm Up (I Can't Get Down) -- Great Big Sea
5. Samson -- Regina Spektor

Whaddya know? They aren't all by whiny females and I didn't discover any of them via Gossip Girl, The O.C., Dawson's Creek or any other embarrassing TV show...



No comments:

Post a Comment